June 1, 2018
Dear Fellow CA Academy Member!
I fell in love with the world of nutrition after entering my first Food and Nutrition class at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in Fall of 2008. I thought it was too good to be true – no one actually finds “their calling” after the first quarter of college! Ten years later, I am still in love with the world of nutrition and in even more ways than I could have ever thought was possible. I am working my dream job as an Outpatient Transplant Dietitian at UC Davis Health and I have the honor of serving all of you as the 2018-2019 CA Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics President!
There are so many amazing people who have helped me get to where I am today, starting with my amazing professors at Cal Poly who truly instilled in us that we “learn by doing”. They taught us to never turn down an opportunity, because every opportunity is a chance to learn and grow. Thank you to my mentor, Amy Myrdal Miller, who has taught me that you can be a leader at any age and has supported me through every step of this journey! My biggest Thank You is to you – all of our members – for this amazing opportunity and honor to serve you!
I am so excited for everything this year has in store for you. Not only do we have an incredible Executive Board, we have council members and district leaders who are working together to ensure that we continue to move our profession forward! We are working together to provide you with membership benefits year-around and all through California.
Here is a sneak peak into what we are working on this year:
- We will continue to offer to webinars throughout the year to ensure that you are staying up to date on the latest evidence-based nutrition research.
- We are reviewing all of our practices to ensure that we are conducting business in the most efficient and sustainable way possible – we are continuing to go paperless!
- We will continue to provide you with the most up to date nutrition information to meet your professional development needs through our social media channels and brand new website (www.dietitian.org).
- Our newly appointed Member Benefits Chair will be reaching out to all of you to identify the best ways to serve YOU!
- Save the date for Public Policy Workshop March 11, 2019 in Sacramento, CA and CAND Annual Conference April 11-13, 2019 in Riverside, CA!
As you may know, 20 percent of your Academy dues come back to the California Academy to support our operating budget. Membership dues are our largest source of revenue and we use those funds to provide services and benefits to members. The Executive Board is committed to expanding member services and benefits so please stay in touch and tell us what we can do for you! I look forward to a great year!
Golnaz Ghomeshi Friedman, RDN